Searching Beyond the Paid

Friday, August 10, 2007

Yahoo Keyword Insertion Nonsense

We've all heard about the eBay ads on Google that use keyword insertion for everything - you know, "buy used fish on eBay," etc. It's become a big SEM joke.

I was searching for the name of this blog on Yahoo just now, just to make sure I'm ranking for it (I am). I found this lovely specimen. Look at the second sponsored ad:


(To see for yourself, just go to Yahoo and search for "beyond the paid" without the quotes.)

Huh? As far as I can tell, this is an ad for a service selling "Top 25" lists, and the ad is supposed to be say "legitimate {keyword} for serious {keyword}." Which is still terrible ad copy. What if I searched for, say, "stock certificates"?

2007 Top 25 Stock Certificates
Legitimate Stock Certificates for Serious Stock Certificates

It still doesn't make sense! Even if I searched for something like "investments," it wouldn't make sense. "Legitimate investments for serious investments"??

Clearly this advertiser has no idea how keyword insertion works. Either that, or they chose that option by mistake when they created their ad group. Either way, this is one reason why keyword insertion should be used with caution, and only when you fully understand how it works!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home