Searching Beyond the Paid

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Take Me To The Other Side...

My life as a search marketer is about to change. I've accepted a search marketing position with Fluency Media, an interactive agency in Ann Arbor, Michigan, starting on Monday. I'm really excited about the opportunity to experience life on the other side of the in-house / outsource fence. Fluency is doing some exciting things, and I'm thrilled to become a part of the process.

As most of my readers know, I've been doing in-house SEM for over 5 years, and have been a vocal advocate of managing search programs in-house. My stance on that hasn't changed. There absolutely is value in having an in-house expert on staff, and as illustrated in the ongoing discussion at Search Engine Watch forums, some of the best-performing SEM campaigns are done with a combination of in-house and outsourced experts managing them. Having been in the in-house role will help me understand my clients' challenges and marketing goals, since I've been in their shoes.

So, Friday is my last day with MagazineLine. I've been with the company for 11 years, doing both offline and online marketing. I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for the support of the great staff at MagazineLine. I have truly found a career I'm passionate about, and it all happened because the company was willing to gamble on a new program called Google Adwords, and I had the privilege of building the program from the ground up.

I can't possibly list all the talented associates who helped me along the way, but I have to give a special thank-you to Karen Henry: my supervisor, colleague, and friend. It was her idea to try Adwords, and it was also her idea to assign it to me as a "special project" (which makes me laugh now, looking at how large the program has become!). Karen, thank you for having enough faith in me to let me try this "experiment," and thank you for being a sounding board for ideas as the program grew. Thank you especially for your good sense of humor all along the way! It will continue to serve you well.

Even though my day-to-day routine is about to change, I'll still be blogging, ranting, and postulating here. I'm looking forward to the new challenges ahead.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Congratulations, Melissa! It sounds like a great opportunity. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures.

    Kevin Newcomb

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:34 PM EDT  

  • Thanks, Kevin! You'll still see me around the SEW forums. ;)

    Melissa

    By Blogger Melissa, at 9:17 AM EDT  

  • Best of luck Melissa, sounds like a great opportunity. It's always nice to get a clear view from both sides of the fence:-)

    Jeremy

    By Blogger Jeremy Mayes, at 10:09 AM EDT  

  • Thanks, Jeremy! I'll be watching your blog from the other side of the fence!

    Melissa

    By Blogger Melissa, at 12:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home