Searching Beyond the Paid

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Healthcare Search, And The Art Of Slowing Down

It's been a while since I've posted here. And it's not just because I've been busy. I have been busy, but that's not the only reason.

Thursday, August 6, was a pretty typical day. I drove 80 miles to our Ann Arbor office for the day, where I had a client meeting. After the meeting, a couple co-workers and I walked several blocks through downtown Ann Arbor to get cupcakes to snack on. I drove home afterward and had a normal evening with my family, and worked on last-minute plans for our summer vacation, for which we were to leave 2 days later. Then, tired, I went to bed.

I woke up a couple hours later feeling terrible. Fever, aches, muscle cramps, etc. I tried to go back to sleep, but by 5 a.m., I knew I was really sick. My chest hurt and I was coughing badly. My husband took one look and said, "We need to go to the doctor."

Later that morning, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I've never had it before, although our daughter did when she was 6, so I knew how scary it could be.

Luckily, I wasn't hospitalized - with a blood oxygen level of 94, it wasn't hospital-serious. However, the doctor told me that it takes 6-8 weeks to recover from pneumonia.

"Pshaw," I thought. "I'm in great shape, and if I just rest for a week or so, I'll be fine." But just in case, I turned to the Internet to see what I could find about pneumonia recovery. I searched on both Google and Bing, partly because one of Bing's primary verticals is health care searches. I wanted to see if, indeed, this was "better than Google."

I wasn't disappointed in Bing. A Google search turned up a mish-mash of forum threads, blog posts, and informational articles - and it was hard to sift through it all. Bing, on the other hand, turned up highly relevant and credible articles about exactly what I needed: information on how long it really takes to recover from pneunomia.

Even though the online information backed up what the doctor said, I still blew it off - much to my detriment. 3 weeks into my recovery, I came down with bronchitis. While it wasn't severe and I caught it early, it was the wakeup call I needed. Yes, even pneumonia wasn't enough of a wakeup call for me to realize I needed to slow down.

I'm 43 years old. I'm told I don't look it, and most of the time I don't feel it, either. I'm proud to be able to successfully juggle a full-time career and be a good wife and mother - and still go to the gym twice a week and participate in a few extra-curricular activities of my own. I eat healthy and have kept off a 35-pound weight loss for 10 years. I think I'm doing pretty well for my age.

But that doesn't make me infallible. Being a busy working mom can be stressful, and I wasn't doing a good job of slowing down and resting when I was tired - I just kept soldiering on. I sort of had the attitude that I'd sleep when I'm dead.

No more. Now, I make sure to get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep a night (as opposed to the 6-7 I was getting before I got sick). I take frequent breaks during the work day instead of pushing through 8 hours without stopping. And if I'm too tired to work out, I don't - even if it means missing a day.

I heard recently that, for many moms, "the slowing-down process is not something we're good at." That's for sure. But in the past 2 months, I've gotten a lot better at it. I've learned to say, "No, I can't do that just now," even to my boss. I think I'm worth it. I *know* I'm worth it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home